I believe you just don’t appreciate your health, until you don’t have it anymore. It has been a wild ride at my house, and trust me, I am VERY appreciative of my good health now. It all started the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
I got a call from the school nurse for my youngest having a cough and a low grade fever. When he got home from the bus, I gave him medicine and had him rest. The next day was spent cleaning, cooking, and giving him more medicine and rest. Thanksgiving went off really well. We had about 20 people at our house, and everything tasted great. And then my husband disappeared…turns out, he was getting a headache and coughing also. Black Friday, we did a little shopping and was home by early afternoon. Around 4 am, I woke up to my husband vomiting. Yep…that little bug transformed itself just for my husband. Blech! Saturday I went with a friend and picked up our race packets for the marathon on Sunday. My throat was a little sore, but I didn’t think too much of it. My husband was clearly struggling, but he was putting on a brave face. Sunday, I successfully finished my 2nd marathon…and PR’d!!! I cut 10 minutes off of my time from last year YAY! I even managed to drive home, roll out my muscles, and was up for work the next day. I was a little gimpy and my voice was off, but it was good. I didn’t even have any chaffing at all! Tuesday I had my 2nd interview with the Navy OIC, but by 2:00, I knew I was in for it.
I left work early on Tuesday and didn’t go back the rest of the week. I basically slept for 3 days between coughing up lungs, fighting off fevers, and avoiding contact with pretty much everyone. I sounded like I had been smoking 50 packs of cigarettes a day…and I’ve never smoked in my life. FINALLY on Saturday I woke up feeling more normal. I stopped taking medicine and even managed to get out of the house. Sunday I went to church and was able to actually sing with the choir! Hallelujah for being healthy!!
Now I know it’s December, and I’m a little late, but here are my goals from last month and what I’m working on this month:
- Set PR’s at both of my races this month. Success! I PR’d my 5K time by a little less than a minute (but it counts!) and my marathon time by 10 minutes!
- Host Thanksgiving at our house and not have anyone murdered, arrested, or thrown in the pool. Success. 99% of the drama was eliminated, and everyone left happy.
- FINALLY get to do (and nail) my interviews for the Navy. Well I have 2 interviews done. I have one more to go…
And now for December:
- Submit my packet for the Navy ON TIME! It is due by the end of this week, and I’m cutting it VERY close, but I’m going to do everything I can to make this happen.
- Set another PR. I have a 5K later this month that was rescheduled from Hurricane Matthew, so we’ll see if I can keep improving my time. With being sick, I’m not so sure.
- Find the time to have a relaxing evening with my husband. He has been working so hard to take care of me, the house, the kids, and work. In the midst of all the chaos, I want him to know how much I appreciate and love him.