Peace Amid Chaos

I came across Beth’s three word Wednesday idea over here on her blog, so I thought I’d give it a try.

My three words: Peace Amid Chaos. Why those words? Well I think most of you know how cray cray my life is most of the time, but for those that don’t, let me just give you an idea by sharing just the past 7 days’ schedule of events:

Thursday: I had 3 meetings at work, my husband had a deposition in court (he is a police officer), my 3 high school aged children all had open house on the same night (2 different schools). My husband got off work at 6 and picked up my stepson from his after school driver’s ed class and went to his open house. I got off work at 4:30, went to my daughter’s game (she is a cheerleader) and received the handoff of my 2 younger children from my mom. I then went to my daughter’s open house after the game. We ate drive-thru and got home about 9pm.

Friday: I had only 1 meeting and my husband was off of work. He checked out my daughter from school at 12:30 and brought her home to watch our younger two kids. I left work at 12:45 after checking out my stepson and picked up a girl from our church youth group. We raced home, changed clothes, and raced back to our church to drive one of the church vans to Orlando. My husband and I chaperoned our youth group going to Night of Joy at Disney World. We left the church at 2:00, drove in blinding rain to Orlando, and proceeded to have an AMAZING night praising and worshipping God while hanging out with our little group of 5 teenagers. We dropped off all the kids and got home around 4:30AM.

Saturday: We slept in until about noon. My mother-in-law came over and picked up the two younger kids to go swimming at her house. My husband and I started sorting through all of our hang-up clothes that were piled in the bathtub (we just bought a bank-owned house and the master bedroom closet was completely ripped out) because the bathtub faucet was leaking. Aroung 3:45pm, we wrapped up and went to SAM’s before heading to my mother-in-law’s house for dinner. After dinner, we went back to SAM’s and picked up two closet organizer units. We got home and put together those units until about 1:00AM.

Sunday: We went to church and got home around 12:30pm (we don’t do the early service 🙂 ). My parents came over at 1:00 for kick-off of the Bills vs Bears game. We are HUGE Bills fans, and my parents are HUGE Bears fans. For those that don’t know, BILLS WON!! So it was a great game for us! After they left, we cleaned up the kitchen from wings and pizza. Oh and during the game my daughter had a friend come over to work on a school project. We got to bed around 9pm that night.

Monday: Everybody went to work and school. I got off work at 4:30, picked up my youngest from my parents’ house, picked up my daughter from school and went to Wal-Mart. We got stuff to make for dinner. Now understand that I HATE cooking, but I had found a recipe for sweet and sour chicken from my friend on her blog here. My daughter and I got to work and had it almost all the way in the oven when I had to leave to take my stepson to his Police Explorer’s meeting at 6pm. My husband got off work at 6 and we had dinner. He left at 8pm to go pick up stepson and that wrapped up our day.

Yesterday: I had four meetings at work, my husband worked and had a major arrest, and I got off work at 4:30. I picked up my youngest two kids, and then picked up my daughter after cheerleading practice. We got home and made dinner. My husband got off work at 6 and picked up my stepson from his driver’s ed class and got home for dinner. After dinner, my husband went to Home Depot to get pieces and parts he needed to finish the attic floor so that we can put stuff in the attic finally and find our garage. I went to bed at 9 because I think I’m getting a stupid cold. My husband stayed up until 11PM watching a movie because he’s crazy. 🙂

Oh and I should mention our morning routine is my husband gets up at 4:30AM and leaves the house by 5:15AM for work. We all get up at 6AM and leave the house by 6:45AM. I drop off my daughter at her high school by 7AM, drop off my 5th grader by 7:10AM, drop off my youngest at my parents’ house by 7:20AM and arrive at work with my stepson (I work at his high school) by 7:30AM. Whew! Yet this is me (ok maybe not):

So when I say “Peace Amid Chaos”, I mean that even surrounded by all of that stuff going on, I couldn’t imagine a different life. I’m the oldest of 5 and my mom is the oldest of 5 and now I’m a mom of 5. I have always had chaos…it’s really all I’ve ever known. I think the other thing that factors into my being able to find peace in chaos is that my dad was in the Army most of my life, and my husband has served in the Army National Guard for 15 years. Being an Army brat and an Army wife forces a sense of flexibility into one’s life that I don’t think others understand. Life has really prepared me to be able to juggle many things at once. Maybe that’s why I haven’t gotten too overwhelmed pursuing my doctorate degree (almost done now!!!). Actually, I can say whatever I want, but the bottom line is that I can only find peace in the middle of chaos because of the grace of God and His amazing love for me! 😀

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s