So I just got back from my week in Las Vegas. I attended the Blackboard World conference and received a Catalyst Award for Exemplary Course Design for the English for College Readiness course I designed for the online department of my district. The conference was great. I learned a lot, connected with great people, and got some innovative inspiration from the keynote speakers. That part was amazing. But honestly if I never went to Vegas again, I wouldn’t be upset.
Why you ask? Well, here are the top 10 reasons why Vegas isn’t quite what I expected:
10. It was 105 degrees. Now I KNOW it’s in the desert. And I KNOW it’s the summer. But I did NOT expect it to be so hot people literally didn’t venture outside until at least 7pm. I swear I lost 5 pounds just in sweat from walking (yes this girl sweats).
9. Shits expensive! I mean like stupid expensive for no reason. A 16 oz bottle of soft drink is minimum $3.00. Most meals outside of fast food started at $16.00 each not including drinks. Any entertainment/shows were $99/each minimum. That may not sound like a lot for some people, but it is for me. I’m a freaking teacher for crying out loud…we aren’t eactly paid well ya know?!
8. It’s SUPER crowded. I generally do ok in crowds. My husband does not. Combine wall to wall people with hot temperatures and bad things happen.
7. No I do NOT want a stripper/strip club/titty bar/call girl/escort service. I swear, we couldn’t walk 5 feet without having another damn card snapped and slapped and thrust toward our hands. Get LOST!
6. LOTS of homeless people. I mean LOTS! Like every 10 feet there was someone else begging for money. It got to the point where I read all of the pathetic signs looking for originality. I finally found it with a sign that said: Aliens stole my wife. I need money to pay them to keep her. HA!
5. No I don’t want to spend $200 for face cream/hand lotion. We stayed at the Venetian, and every day at least twice a day I was told my “eyes looked tired” and “this lotion would completely eliminate any wrinkles/dark circles/crow’s feet”. Way to make a girl feel good about herself. LOL!
4. Timeshares salespeople EVERYWHERE. We were asked at least 10 times to go on a timeshare tour. We finally caved when we realized we couldn’t afford to actually go to any shows on our own. 2 hours of wasted time later, we were given tickets to Absinthe and the roller coaster at New York, New York. While Absinthe was A-MAZ-ING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…
3. Vegas does NOT know how to do coasters. That is the worst, roughest, most violent coaster ride I’ve been on for a while. I mean, I know I’ve been spoiled with rides at Disney World, Universal, Six Flags, and Sea World, but WOW! That one sucked.
2. People were rude! Maybe it was just the tourists feeling like they could all be douches because they were on vacation. Who knows?! All I know is my husband was ready to throw down by the last day.
1. I’m glad it wasn’t my money spent, because I would have been pissed if I spent that much money to be there. Luckily, it only cost me a plane ticket for my husband, transportation to and from the airport, and a couple of meals.
Now because I can’t be that whiny bratty female, I will end with the positives of the trip:
- I won an award given to only 2 secondary education courses out of the 60 awarded from the over 300 applicants!
- Absinthe was a GREAT show!
- I played with $2.00 in the penny slots and won $35.00!
- While out there, we found out our house passed the inspection and appraisal so all we have left is the underwriter process.
- Also while out there, I found out I am getting my promotion and should start in a week.
- All things considered, life is still good and I’d rather go to the mountains than the desert for my next vacation.